Monday, December 3, 2007

Day Sixty and Sixty One - Sumo and Soba

We are now on the main island in Japan, after covering 416 miles on day 60, we spent all of day 61 resting from all that work!

We have stopped by the city of Hayato and have managed to catch a Sumo match (that's me on the left - only joking, I'm fatter!!!)
I'm loving the japanese food, I'm trying to stick to shōjin ryōri - which means devotion cuisine. According to my guide "East Asian "Buddhist" cuisine differ from Western vegetarian cuisine in one aspect, that is avoidance of killing plant life. Buddhist monks and nuns prohibit harming of plant. Therefore, strictly speaking, no root vegetables (such as potatoes, carrots or onion) are to be used as this will result in death of vegetables. Instead, vegetables such as beans or fruits are used. However, this stricter version of diet is often practiced only on special occasion." so lashings of noodles with tofu - yum!

No comments: